Monday, June 14, 2010

Review: Jacob Have I loved by Katherine Paterson

Title: Jacob Have I Loved
Author: Katherine Paterson
Genre: Fiction
Audience: Independent Reader and older
B & B Rating: ★★★★ 1/2


Summary: Jacob Have I Loved tells the story of Sara Louise Bradshaw, nicknamed "Wheeze," as she goes through her adolescent years on an island in the Chesapeake Bay.  It tells of Wheeze's confusion, frustration, anger, and fear of growing up in a small community and in the shadow of her twin sister, Caroline.  And it ends beautifully, in a way that made me nearly cry my face off.

Review: I was over at my sister Becky's house telling her about this blog and my endeavors to find good books with good food in them.  We were brainstorming when she mentioned this book.  I'd heard her mention it before, so it was with a bit of shame that I admitted that I'd never read it.  She had a moment of disbelief before getting up and going to her library and getting it off the shelf.  She told me to read it immediately.  I can't say I did it immediately-- I was wrapping up another book at the time.  But this one was the next one I picked up.

Oh my stars.  I completely understand why she told me to read it in a tone that that indicated that I needed to make up for a dire sin.  This should be required reading for every teenage girl.  At least... every teenage girl who ever feels overlooked, invisible, homely, confused about the future and her place in the world.  (So basically, every teenage girl.)  This is such a beautiful book.  There were times that I wanted to throw it across the room because I was so frustrated for poor Sara Louise.  (Her best friend is an idiot in so, so many ways.)  There were also times that I wanted to reach into the book and wrap my arms around her and have a very serious talk with her and tell her all the things I know she needed to hear.

I want to tell you everything.  I want to talk about all of the characters and the things she goes through.  And I want to talk about the ending.  Oh, how I want to talk about the ending.  But I can't until you read it, so go read it.  Now.  Immediately.

1 comment:

Shar said...

i remember loving this book, but i don't remember anything beyond that. i will have to read it again and soon so we can chat!!

Post a Comment